Friday, June 25, 2010

The End of School is Here!

Well, actually it's been 'here' in our house for about 2 weeks because my daughter's preschool ends 2 weeks earlier than regular schools. But, now it's here for everyone! She's been at this preschool, Merrily We Go, for two years and they were really fantastic! So to say goodbye (as she's going to JK next year) I wanted to make them something personal. Since then I've heard that teacher's appreciate gift cards and don't want 'knick knacks'. I suppose they get a lot of knick knacks... but it kind of bothers me that we've become a society that would prefer a thoughtless gift like a gift card (because who's kidding who, anyone can go and buy a gift card on their way to, well, whatever) but this gift took me some time and effort to make. And it was most certainly made with love! I do think that the two teachers at this preschool would appreciate that. I hope so, anyways.

I made the teachers bookmarks using our Styled Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware. Though this is a pretty easy project it does take some time because of the thicker layer of Crystal Effects on each side. This is to protect the image inside. I also decided to finally break open that package of Shimmery White card stock I've had for a few months (but wasn't using because it's too 'special' :p). I embossed with clear embossing powder so you can *just* see the shimmer through the flowers. Then I sponged overtop with my new fave colour combo, Rich Razzleberry and Baja Breeze. I added some retired felt flowers, some Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon and Styled Vanilla Ribbon Slides. And voila, bookmarks! Do you see the shimmer in the close-up? I love this shimmery card stock!

Since I was making multiple bookmarks I just embossed and sponged a whole strip of cardstock. I made them two-sided so for each book mark I punched out two Designer Label inserts and adhered them together with a few Stampin' Dimensionals. After I made them I had enough card stock to make an insert for my Simply Adorned Charm! Love those charms :)

What would a handmade gift be without a handmade card? Since we're heading into the summer, I thought the Tropical Party stamp set was a perfect choice. I have done similar cards (idea is from Julie Buhler) but I went all out on this one with the sponging. My first attempt was actually pretty good :) I did the blue sponging with Bashful Blue and Tempting Turquoise. The green is just a thin layer of Old Olive. The sand is done with River Rock, Soft Suede and Early Espresso. Love it and hope the teacher's did too! The flowers and palm trees are cut out by hand so if you don't like cutting this card may not be for you ;)

So welcome summer and thank you to the wonderful teachers that so enriched my daughter's life the past two years!

Keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!






Love this project? Shop Stampin' Up! with me 24/7! (Canada only)


How did I make my projects?

Bookmarks: Tropical Party Stamp Set, Shimmery White Card Stock, Versa Mark ink, Baja Breeze Ink, Rich Razzleberry Ink, Styled Vanilla Hodgepodge Hardware, Stampin' Dimensionals, Designer Label Punch, Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon.

Beach Card: Tropical Party and Teeny Tiny Wishes Stamp Sets, Tempting Turquoise, Rose Red, Pumpkin Pie and Whisper White Card Stock, Island Floral Designer Series Paper, Pumpkin Pie, Rose Red, Tempting Turquoise, Bashful Blue, River Rock, Soft Suede and Early Espresso Ink, Scallop Trim Punch, Scallop Oval Punch, Large Oval Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, and 1-3/8" Circle Punch, 1/4" Tempting Turquoise Grosgrain Ribbon, Stampin' Dimensionals.

No comments: