Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tie Dye Heat Embossing

When I first became a Demonstrator with Stampin' Up!, I immediately ordered the Heat Tool and all the Embossing Powders so that I could do lots of heat embossing. And I embossed absolutely everything for a little while :)  But then we started selling the Big Shot with its various dies and embossing folders, as well as other specialty tools and I didn't heat emboss nearly as much. Which is unfortunate because I love the look of a heat embossed image.

Today's Pals Paper Arts Challenge asked us to use heat embossing on our project. So I decided to do something that I'd been dreaming about since doing multicolored embossed images with the new colored embossing powders in the spring. I call it "Tie Dye Heat Embossing". Why? Because the stamped images have a bit of a tie dye look to them. I haven't seen this done elsewhere.  Here's a quick tutorial - super quick - because it's really easy :) For my flower I used Melon Mambo and Tangerine Tango Embossing Powders.


Directions:
1. Rub your card stock with the Embossing Buddy (to remove static from the card stock).
2. Stamp your image with VersaMark.
3. Sprinkle a very small amount of embossing powder on your image. Usually we would coat the image with A LOT of powder and shake off the excess. Here you want there to be some gaps, exposed VersaMark ink.
4. With a second color, cover the exposed VersaMark by coating your image in a second color of embossing powder. If you want to do three colors, repeat Step 3 for the second color and then finish coating with the third color.
5. Heat and emboss with your Heat Tool. 

Hope this has gotten you excited about trying out your heat tool again. 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!

2 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

What a neat technique! very cool results! Love the big flower against the background of squares! And I adore that skinny ribbon accent!

Oops a Daisy Designs said...

Fantastic card! LOVE IT. Thank you for playing along with Pals Paper Arts.