Friday, June 29, 2012

Dino Punch Art

I did have another blog post planned for today. But then I worked on this week's Friday Mashup Challenge. We were challenged to
1. Make a project with Punch Art;
2. Make a project featuring your Favorite Animal; or
3. Mash it Up and create a project with an animal using punches.

I have a lot of favorite animals... monkeys, pigs, dolphins, fish. But I do love dinos, too. I came across this cute punch art dino surfing the web. It's CASEd but I don't have any info about the original.


Here's a quick breakdown of how I made the stegosaurus and the palm trees:
Body: I used the 2-1/2" Circle Punch. I punched out the circle, then put it back in and trimmed off part of it. You'll have pointy sides so I rounded them out with my Paper Snips. You can use the Wide Oval Punch as well. The color is Always Artichoke.
Tail: I used the 2-1/2 Circle Punch again. I punched out part of the circle, discarded it and punched over top of the area where I punched the first circle to make a crescent.
Armour: This was super easy - Boho Blossoms Punch. The color is River Rock.
Head: The Large Oval Punch was perfect for 'Steg's' head.
Legs: I used the Large Oval Punch again and cut the punch-outs in half and voila - 4 legs :)
Tree Trunks: The Modern Label Punch makes a great tree trunk. The color is Soft Suede.
Palm Tree Leaves: I once again used the Large Oval Punch. Then, I used my Paper Snips to cut out the 'leaves' in the ovals. The color is Old Olive.

The grass was easy. I cut a 1" strip of Old Olive card stock and snipped the blades with my Paper Snips. I embossed the dino parts with the Square Lattice Embossing Folder. I sponged the dinosaur, its armor, the grass and the palm leaves with Always Artichoke. The tree trunks were sponged with Soft Suede.

I can't wait to give this card to a lucky little birthday boy or girl :) Hope you've enjoyed this card, 'til next time keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!





6 comments:

Tara Bourgoin said...

Now that's punch art! Awesome card, Monica... Think I might have to try this one some time :)

Lili said...

Such a cute stegosaurus Monica! I love how you used the embossing to give texture to the body. You've done a great job ! Thanks for playing along with us at the Friday Mashup this week!

Crystal Dawn Langton said...

Oh my goodness! This card blew my socks off! I've been struggling to come up with a final card for a punch art class and you've just inspired me.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness what a cool card! What a great way to do punch art!

Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

Amy White said...

Wow this is so clever! Love the embossed dino - and those trees are FAB! Thanks for playing along with the Friday Mashup...

Sam said...

Love your cute card Monica. You might have seen it on my blog a while back:
http://ryemilan.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/some-rainy-day-dinosaur-punch-art.html

I got inspiration for my take on it here:
http://nicolederendorf.com/2009/11/20/christmas-card-parade-4/

Cheers,
Sam.