Saturday, June 23, 2012

More Christmas in June with the Star Tree

Yeah, I know. It's June. It's hot out. We're swimming in pools and sunbathing at beaches. We should not be thinking about Christmas... but I am! I love the idea of making a few Christmas cards *before* the season starts. That way when I'm knee-deep in the Christmas rush, I already have some cards made :) That's what the Merry Monday Challenge is all about! This challenge comes out every Monday so I'm sliding in at the last moment! (But... what's new, right? ;) )


I used the new single stamp Star Tree for my card. And do you like the embossing at the bottom? I did that instead of the ribbon. I used the new Delicate Designs Textured Impressions Embossing Folder for this. There are two edge embossing folders in the package. One of them has this snowflake-looking design. I think it's supposed to be more of a doily, but when I saw it I immediately thought CHRISTMAS! lol!


Tips & Tricks:

*I did a simplified easel for this card. I cut a piece of 4-1/2" x 5-1/2" Pool Party card stock and folded it in half lengthwise making a 4-1/2" x 2-3/4" card base. Then I attached the 4" x 5-1/4" piece of Island Indigo card stock.
*I love all the little stars on the tree. I used my Two-Way Glue Pen to put some Dazzling Diamonds Glitter on all of them to give it that Christmas-y twinkle!
*I know I've used the Labels Framelits a lot lately, but how could I *not* use them on this card? The tree fits perfectly!
*I really love this color combo for Christmas. I know it's not traditional but I find the Pool Party is quite 'icy' blue and the Island Indigo gives a great contrast. I know the names of the colors don't sound Christmas-y either but you have to admit, it works!

If you love this card and want to get a head start on your Christmas cards, come to my Christmas in July! Class on July 19th. Promises to be lots of fun, using ALL NEW stamps and there was some talk of Christmas music ;) I hope to see you at this class... 'til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!


5 comments:

Narelle Farrugia said...

I laughed when I read your post - I'm sitting on the other side of the world in front of fire trying to warm up because it's so cold here in Australia! I just love that image, it's such a fabulous tree. You've created a gorgeous Christmas card. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday this week!

Lesley said...

What a gorgeous creation Monica and the fact you used the embossing folder for your ribbon is very cool. I got that tree too...looks good in Blue! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday!
Lesley

Bonnie said...

That embossing folder reminds me of snowflakes too, Monica! I can't wait to get a chance to use it! Love your blue Star Tree too! Glad you joined us at Merry Monday this week!

Notes by Nina said...

Very pretty card, that image is beautiful. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Monica Hornof said...

Thanks so much for the lovely compliments ladies :)