Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chalkboard Technique with Forever Young

I have been wanting to try this technique for, well, ever! I've seen it used many times and since I'm doing an All About Heat Embossing Class this Friday I decided to try it out. There's still some time to sign up for the class - we're doing 5 techniques!).

This card is a very special card for my new Godson, Zander, who was baptized today :) I don't have any religious stamps, as I'm not too religious. But to me, trees represent life and growth. I thought that the tree from the Forever Young stamp set and 'Dream' from Loving Thoughts would be appropriate. The tree in white and the white ribbon represent the purity that Zander's baptism has given him.


This week's sketch at Freshly Made Sketches was a very simple one, with just the one big element on the card. I did add the ribbon because my card needed it with the Oval Accent. And I always need to do things my way ;) I really love this technique because it's soooo simple, but makes a big impression. Here are some Tips & Tricks:

*For a crisp white embossed image, use Stampin' Up!'s Whisper White Craft Ink. It's a bit thicker than the VersaMark and will lead to a crisper white on the black. But careful not to goop your stamp up too much ;)
*I sponged the edges of my Basic Black card stock and the surface with some Whisper White Craft Ink. I didn't want the ink on my card stock to be too heavy, so I spread it out some more with a clean sponge.
*To trim my Oval Accent Die Cut to the right size, I first adhered it to the embossed Baja Breeze layer and only after did I trim it with my Paper Trimmer.

Zander's parents loved the card and were touched by the beautiful image. I hope when he sees it when he grows up he loves it too. I'm honored to be a part of his life :) Amazing what an impact a simple handmade card can make. 'Til next time, keep letting stamps bring out your creativity!

Monica
Shop Stampin' Up! Online 24/7


Card Recipe:
Stamps: Forever Young, Loving Thoughs
Card Stock: Basic Black, Baja Breeze
Ink: VersaMark, Whisper White Craft
Accessories: Stampin' Sponges, Whisper White 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon, Big Shot, Square Lattice Embossing Folder, Oval Accent Clear Bigz Die, Stampin' Dimensionals

1 comment:

Jen Timko said...

Wonderful card and perfect for the occasion! Sure to be cherished by his whole family. Glad you joined us this week at FMS!